You see, Lee regularly makes plans to go on weekend long fishing trips (regular fishing in summer, ice fishing in winter) or hunting trips (all during Oct, Nov, Dec---which is why we cannot have baby #3 due during any of those months lol....I still to this day get crap for our wedding anniversary being in October!)....and I'm a *very* good wife and agree to him doing these things, but the thing is that I never plan anything that doesn't include the girls. I am with them all week long and then on weekends they are still always with me. Sometimes my mom does babysit so I can do Etsy orders or go out with Lee....but *Lee* never watches the girls alone for any extended period of time. He avoids it at all costs.
So this year my stay-at-home mom JOB has a new benefits package---and that includes one full day a month (of my choosing) where Lee watches the girls while I go do whatever I want--kid free! And today my friends, was my first vacation day of the year. I went to the outlet mall and had so much fun!
Here were my thoughts during the day:
1) It's wonderful to be able to listen to MY music in the car (country music is my music of choice :-)....as opposed to Raya's favorite mixed cd of kids' sing-a-long songs----which I'm almost certain plays on a continuous loop in the furthest depths of hell :-P
2) I had almost forgotten what it was like to not hear "Mama, I hungry" every 5 minutes.
3) I was able to get from my car to the store in less than 30 seconds. Carseat saga be damned.
4) Food tastes so good when you can eat it while it's still hot. No cutting up everyone elses food into a million pieces while yours gets cold.
5) I sure did pass some knowing glances to other moms there, dealing with whiny kids at Arbys :-P
6) Did you know that doors are actually very easy to open and walk through when you aren't pushing a double stroller?
7) I couldn't believe how nice it was to try on clothes for *myself* for once! And no running commentary in the dressing room either! ("Mama, I see your boo boos! (boobies) .....Mama, you have big boo boos and I have little boo boos!.....Mama, I see your underwears. Why you not have Minnie underwears? Mama? Mama? Mama?.....)
8) I had really missed using the "regular" bathroom stall, rather than the handicapped one the size of a small home, with the nasty diaper changing station that I'm pretty certain is growing any number of diseases on a given day.
9) It was really amusing to walk by the mall playland (which was packed by the w ay) and just smile at the poor suckers stuck there with their kids while I walked on by.
10) .....every time I saw someone with little girls I missed mine terribly! :-(
And so it was that I had a WONDERFUL day, but I was so glad to come home to my babies!
One of my favorite blogs enjoying the small things actually just wrote about this same topic. She was out of state away from her girls so it was a little different obviously than just a day away, but what she wrote really hit home for me after today! She wrote:
"my true statement of 'I let go, I enjoyed me time, I knew the kids were just fine without me' can be contradicted by the same truth of 'I missed them and thought about them all the time.' If that makes any sense."
"I did so well at being present and really enjoying the opportunity to be alone, sleep (for the first time in three years!), move from one location to another without taking a head check, buckling seat belts or making sure to grab a to-go snack; but I missed them, truly. You get to a certain point in motherhood where, no matter how much fun you're having, you just subconsciously breathe your children. You can smell them even when you're not purposely thinking about them. You can feel their arms around your neck, their breath on your shoulder."
It's so true.
And when I got home to my girlies I heard all about their day with Daddy! (Who officially bows down to me now...pretty sure he'd rather be a garbage man working for $2 an hour than a full time stay at home dad LOL)
Daddy was a great blogging assistant today though---he thought to take some pictures of their fun! :-)
|Sissy's hitchin' a ride!|
|Get me outta here!|
|Daddy burried her in the ball basket :-P|
And when I got home Raya earned her special prize for being a good girl with Daddy! (She was horrible before I left and once I got back home ---testing limits and clearly out of sorts from her abnormal day!---but Daddy said she was good while I was gone so she earned her prize! I got her a $5 birdfeeder to paint and then tomorrow her and daddy will hang it out for the birds!)
|If *you* were a bird wouldn't you find this incredibly appetizing and want to eat here?! :-)|
Brielle was super excited to see that mama was back home!
Daddy said she was also a good girl (who only slept 40 minutes haha....I told him naptime isn't 3 hours of me eating cheetos and watching Dr. Phil....Brielle doesn't sleep long! :-)
So Brielle also earned a reward....a new first words book
And now do you want to see a sampling of my goodies from today?! :-) I went to the outlet mall and they had awesome sales! Lee had specifically told me I better come home with as much or more stuff for myself as I did for the girls (because he gets tired of me only treating the girls to stuff and me always wearing the same old stuff---because my wardrobe is seriously a tiny fraction of what the girls' is lol) ...so I took him up on the offer and got some stuff for myself, shirts for him at the Wrangler store (he was pumped), some clothes for the girls (mostly stuff for next winter or even bigger....I love to buy ahead when everything is like $2)
Here is one of my favorite purchases....a new purse! Now I actually hate purses. I would rather just throw my stuff in the diaper bag. However for the occassions when I don't have the diaper bag I had decided I wanted a smaller purse, and I had been eyeing these fossil purses because I loved the floral pattern and the fact that the material is like a shiny wipeable stuff (kid friendly!). And low and behold they had a super sale going on today!
Then here are two of my favorite new shirts (yes, I have a thing for stripes and "slouchy" shirts you can layer over tanks lol. But these were so cheap...the yellow one from old navy was $4!)
|The dark blue stuff is navy lace ....looks cute with a grey tank underneath|
|The bottom two are Carter's dresses.|
And once again Brielle got screwed on the clothes since she'll be getting hand-me-downs! But I did get her a couple things (the skirts were $2 at Carter's so I figured why not!)
Can't wait to plan my vacation day for next month! hehe. What about you all? How often do your husbands watch the kids so you can have a full day to yourselves? I think Lee's getting off easy with 1 day a month :-P But then again, I did spend a good chunk of his money today, so maybe it all evens out LOL. Thanks honey! :-)