Tuesday, March 20, 2012

What'd you say?

So yesterday afternoon we went  to the park. There was a dad there with his 2 girls...one about Raya's age (I suspected) and one who looked maybe 7 months old. Well Raya did her now expected thing, which is follow the little girl around  like a puppy dog lol...she's such a follower :-P Luckily this little girl was very outgoing and loved Raya following her around. After about 2 minutes they were holding hands, saying they were friends, and Raya was referring to the other little girl as "my girl" ---as though I had purchased this little girl for her as a gift haha. So anyways, I kind of followed them around the park as they played and was noticing that the other little girl spoke *very* clearly. I started to suspect she  was more like Sawyer's  age, rather  than Raya's. Well after about 30 minutes of playing I  told Raya is was time to go , and they gave eachother hugs like long lost friends haha...and before I left I asked the dad how old his daughter  was and he said she would be 3 on April 1st...so basically only  a month older than Raya! Which got me thinking, either that little girl was very advanced in her speech, or Raya is behind lol.

It's very hard for me to judge these things because Raya isn't around  other kids her own age on a day to day basis. So I thought I'd present it  here to everyone on the blog :-P

The thing is, I know Raya  is in no way so behind that she would qualify now for any sort of speech services.  Frankly, she has a HUGE vocabularly and never shuts up....and I looked up the developmental milestones for 3 year olds and Raya can do everything she's supposed to according to those. I would say that basically everything she says is understood, even by  strangers....so she definitely communicates just fine it that regard.

What I'm less sure of is her  pronunciation/ sound production. For instance, instead of saying "I  will  THrow the ball" she says "I will FRow the ball" .... and instead of saying "I want to Lick the icecream" she says "I want to Wick the icecream"....etc. etc. Basically all the tricky letters  and sounds she doesn't do. Sometimes I can say  "no, not wa wa...waTER" and she will  be  able to come close  to saying the correct word (water)....but  in other cases it's just impossible  for her  to do...like  she can't for the life of her  say (th)  as in throw. I thought this was developmental for her age, but this girl at the park pronounced all those letters and sounds perfectly....so did/do your almost 3 year olds speak all the sounds perfectly, or not?  I know Lee was in speech all  through elementary school because of the same thing, so it's not out of the realm of possibility that Raya would struggle with the same thing....just wondering at what age the "average" child gets a good grasp on all that :-) Like I said, I know she  wouldn't need any speech or anything  right now, but didn't  know if I should be pushing the matter more at home, or just letting her grow out of it.

And in other news, but newest "toddler" has started throwing some doozy tantrums LOL. She's so dramatic about it too, I just have to laugh!



Seriously...look  at the drama on that face! ;-)


And of course when one child  is being naughty and dramatic, suddenly the other  gladly fills the role of "angel child" haha.




Thankfully Brielle's tantrums tend to be  short lived. Today a slinky solved  everything ;-)



She  loves to wrap everything a round her neck!

Unfortunately  this  one  blurred on me...I still liked it though haha



And lastly, awhile  back  I "pinned" this cute shirt on Pinterest because I thought the little girl taking pictures was so cute hehe....so I picked it up at Carters this weekend--only  $6 and it makes me smile ;-)




....and to my neighbor who has suddenly  decided to  run every power tool he owns as loudly  as humanly possible, right after I've laid my children down for a nap---"clearly you do not realize how sacred nap time is to a stay-at-home mom, so let me explain. If you wake up one of my children with your obnoxious tools I will hunt you down like an animal....    thanks!"   ;-)

20 comments:

  1. Kaylee is the same as Raya in saying things the same way. We're working with her on it. Its funny cause she can say Kaylee and she calls Keira..Kara but our friends sons name in Kyler and she calls him Pyler.

    Keira likes to wrap things around her neck like Brielle too. Maybe it's all the scarfs I've put her in. LOL Keira's tantrums are short, she's into screaming at the top of her lungs when she doesn't get her way or if Kaylee takes something from her.

    I feel ya on the neighbor making as much noise as possible. My neighbor does the same thing. He's home all day and likes to make a bunch of noise only during the hours of nap time...so annoying!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Yeah, I had always assumed those things were "typical" for this age, but like I said...this little girl at the park spoke like she should be in school and I was shocked when I found out she was Raya's age! I think I"m going to assume that she was just advanced lol.

      Delete
  2. Of course, I have never actually heard R speak before, but from what you're saying, it sounds like a lot of the things Marco does as well. Marco will be 3 at the end of June. All his L's are Y's... like instead of Yellow, he says Yeyo... or Look becomes Yook. Also, when there's a hard N at the end of a word, he adds a hard G to it... Like Phone becomes PhonG. I think it's normal for this age... and at 3 then they start clearing up.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Yeah, that sounds like Raya (except she likes to substitute w's :-). I had assumed it was all pretty typical but after the girl at the park I thought I better check with others to compare lol.

      Delete
  3. Oh girl that last sentence cracked me up. Neighbors, dogs barking, people ringing my doorbel, etc.... all during naptime will earn you a swift kick in the youknowwhat at my house! ugh. so frustrating! haha!

    Carly is doing the same thing with tantrums lately! What's up with that? She was my sweet little thing and now all the sudden she's all, "NOOOO! I DONT WANT TO!" and throwing herself down on the ground at any cost. Jeez. Sounds like our girls have gone cray! HAHA jk.

    The speech thing? I say, there is no worries at all! I used to think Carly was slower at speech because Lidia talked so much, but now all the sudden that girl can recite her abc's, talking in sentences, singing every song possible, etc. at 19 MONTHS! All just out of the blue! And Lidia still pronounces things a little weird so I think our girls are the norm! You're doing an excellent job mama! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I keep thinking that same thing will happen with Brielle....right now she's sitting back soaking it all in, and then one of these days I think she's going to start talking my ear off lol.

      Delete
  4. Okay, so I obviously don't have a three year old but I have nieces and friends with little girls. I think Raya is fine! But I know as a momma it's hard not to worry. One of my friend's daughters spoke like an adult by the time she was 2, bust most others were right on track with what you described with Raya. I will say that with my nieces, I noticed an drastic improvement in their vocabulary and speech once they started interacting with more with other kids their age. I'm not sure if that's an option with y'all, but whether it is or isn't, she seems right on track for her age =)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! She will start 3 year old preschool in the fall....so I'm sure at that point it'll help...or at least the teachers would alert me I'd think if she stands out as having really babyish pronunciation!

      Delete
  5. My youngest is three and she does similar things as to what you are saying Raya is doing. She has trouble saying her "r's" but honestly I am not worried about it. Sometimes it's hard for others to understand what she's saying. My oldest has always done a good job speaking, or maybe it's just that I forget...idk. Either way, I wouldn't be worried. That girl at the park was probably very advanced for 3!

    I had to laugh at your neighbor situation! Are we neighbors?? I have the same thing go on here! My neighbor is up at 6 or 7am using his leaf blower to blow snow off his driveway, and during the summer, it never fails, at 1pm, he starts the mower up. I think he mows just about everyday!! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. haha....since we moved here in Oct. I don't know the mowing schedule out here, but I'm getting worried b/c we have older retired couples on either side of us, and they seem like the type who might mow daily!!! :-P

      Delete
  6. No advice from me because everyone else's sounded good!

    All I have to say is... Raya's hair is cute!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I dont think cameron did the FRow instead of THrow. But at age 3do he did start to studder a little bit which i became a little concerned about. But he out grew it on his own. Had he not i would have looked into speech therapy.

    I feel ya on the neighbor thing. Our house is on a corner lot and unfortunately the people who built it allowed the still current neighbors to put in a pile of junk trailer in the very small lot next to ours and at the time no one lived in the house on the other side of the small lot. So close that the edge of their trailer is on the property line and their eve spout is on our land.
    Needless to say its in very close proximity to one side of our house. Sadly its the side where our beedroom and sam's bedroom is located. He dosent do things all day, he does them at 6 a.m.. mind you me and my children do not get up until 730 a.m. on week days and later on weekends. There are even some days that sam sleeps later than 730. 6 a.m. is rude. Like im talking using the leaf blower and power tools also. But als taking a metal shovel and getting every last peice of dirt off his drive way and sidewalk. That is loud and so rude at 6 a.m. if u ask me.
    Also, i quit doing daycare so i think that we should have a play date! Let me know.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Raya does the stuttering thing now too. Sawyer also did it some at this age. I think that's pretty normal....I think they say that at this age they just have so much to say and their brain works faster than their mouth! :-) I didn't know you quit daycare...I'll let you know when I plan something next! I thought about trying to get everyone to meet at the park or something next month, but we'll have to see what the weather is like.

      Delete
  8. We went through the same thing with Emma. At 3 she was calling the floor the "Sloor". The refrigerator the "shridgershrator." Basically anything with an "F" in it was pronounced as an "S". We worked with her and eventually she got it right! And about your neighbor issue...my husband and I were that neighbor last week when we had trees cut down in our yard. Needless to say one of our neighbors wasn't very happy with us! =) haha

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My husband tends to want to mow the lawn at like 8am on Sundays, so I'm sure we'll pay our neighbors back eventually LOL

      Delete
  9. We probably all just need to stop her when she does not say something correctly and try to help her say it, sooner or later she will get it. I remember Sayer having trouble with lots of letters or words and John and Emily would just keep tring to have him repeat it until he finally got it.
    Love,
    Grama F

    ReplyDelete
  10. I don't have anything good to say on the speech thing although I know Gianna (who will be 4 in May) is just now finally starting to get some of her letters that she had trouble with. Kyla was always Kya :)

    I love Raya's new shirt. I love anything with that blue in it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good to know! Perhaps when you pick baby #2's name you need to pick one without any "tricky" letters in it so Kyla can say it ;-) Raya actually says Brielle OK surprisingly!

      Delete
  11. It never fails in my house that the doorbell will ring or a neighbor will plow/mow/drill during naptime. Are there no other usable working hours in the day? :)

    ReplyDelete

I love comments--please say "Hi!" :-)