Sunday, July 29, 2012

Recreational Activities

Today Raya had  her  first  ever movie theater experience!! I took her to see Ice Age 4, and we had a great time :-) She had a little trouble sitting still the last 30 minutes, but really did pretty good. She ate lots of popcorn! haha. The people around us got a lot of great narration too, as she yelled "oh no, the  bad guy!" and "where's the littler girl? She misses her daddy?"  ....Daddy stayed at home with Brielle because there is absolutely no way she would have lasted more than 30 minutes.

I didn't take any pictures though, because I was embarassed to be the crazy camera lady at the movie theater, and my camera phone sucks. Trust me, she had fun though!

In other news, last night I spent a great deal of time planning the girls' extracurriculars for this upcoming year :-) I really want each girl to have one extracurricular that is just for them. (and frankly, this crap costs a lot of money! So I am limiting us to one thing each. Times like this I'm really glad once again we have stopped with two kids....I have  no idea how people with more kids can afford all this stuff!)

**Warning, the following  longwinded rambling largely for me to talk it out to myself haha...so feel  free to skim if I bore you ;-)

So anyways, Raya will be in preschool 2 mornings a week (Tues/Thurs). I believe I'll be babysitting Sawyer and Harper on Tuesdays, so that leaves Thursday mornings with just Brielle and I! Ideally I'd love to find something for us to do during that time, but preschool only lasts 2.5 hours, so we're *very* limited on what I can realistically drive to, complete, and be  back in time from to pick  Raya  up. But the lead contender right now is gymnastics! Seriously, a class for 15month-3year olds haha. It's a parent/child class (no, I won't be doing any tumbling haha)....but the parents takes the child to different stations I guess and helps them through everything the teacher leads. Brielle has always been my active and fearless child, so while I don't think Raya would take very well to gymnastics I think it might be right up Brielle's alley! I will  keep you posted on what I decide. The place I'm considering offers one free class to come see if you like it, so I might call after we get back from vacation and take Raya and Brielle in to just check it out and see if it's something Brielle might enjoy and get some social interaction out of, etc.

Here's a picture from their website of one of the toddler/preschool gym areas---looks  fun! But  even though she's in the age range, I wonder if she's still a little  young for it. I  mean, she'd  love to  climb around, but not  sure she'll actually want to complete the different stations and stuff. I kind of think  maybe this  would be a better option for her *next* fall when she's 2.5 years, but I"m not sure!



The other option for Brielle is Kindermusik. Now I did Kindermusik with Raya, but it was at our old house and it was cheaper, because they didn't make you buy the at home materials if you didn't  want to (and I didn't, because  I have enough musical instruments etc. already from my brother who works there!) ....but now  in our new area they force you to buy the materials, so 12 classes is almost 200 bucks (ouch). That's a lot in our low cost of living area anyways haha. The gymnastics is a little less expensive. But  I think that Brielle would love Kindermusik and it might be a little more age appropriate for her. The other negative is that Kindermusik doesn't match up with our free time while Raya's at preschool....so I'd have to do Kindermusik on a weeknight while Lee stayed home with Raya.

Opinions? Which do you think *you'd* do?  I  also found a mommy and  me dance  class for Brielle's  age...and it's priced lower than Kindermusik  too. But I don't know m uch about it and the times also didn't line up during Raya's preschool which means I'd have to do a weeknight or something. ....and I'd have to do goofy dances lol.

For Raya a dance studio in our small town finally put up registration info (Grandma F., it's not the one  *I* went too in middle school...it's the newer dance place  in the old middle school on main street)....anyways, I had found a couple dance  places in the larger town nearby (where gymnastics and all  that is) but it's not our school district and I think Raya would like to dance with kids  she'll actually see in school and stuff (assuming she continues this into elementary school). The class she is old enough to take there  is  called "Creative movement" for 3-5 year olds. I'm surprised it costs as much as the fancier places in the bigger town, but in the end I don't  predict Raya  will become a prima ballerina or anything, and the larger studios are  probably  going to be a lot more competitive, which I'm not  interested in. The place in town here  also offers tumbling, but like  I said, Raya isn't my daredevil so I  don't think she'd like that. And they don't offer anything here  in our town for Brielle's age.

How do  you all  decide extracurriculars and which  you do etc?

Oh, the other  thing is that  Thursdays while Raya is in preschool Brielle and I *could* do story hour right by her preschool (it's not the library we normally go to, but the one we normally do offers story hour right when I need to be picking Raya up). So anyways, if we did kindermusik or something on a weeknight we could do story hour for free on Thursday mornings. (I don't really count story hour as an extracurricular since ours is usually just sitting and listening to a story---not social interaction with other kids and stuff.)

My head hurts ;-)  And then I think  about how I wanted the girls to play tball and continue with swimming lessons and do piano lessons and summer camps, etc....and I'm starting to think I'm going to become very poor, very fast!



16 comments:

  1. It's sooo hard to decide! Emma did 2 rounds of soccer...and those were both big fails. The first round of it was ok. Second round she freaked out and didn't want to have anything to do with it. Then came ballet, and again, big fail. Finally I decided to let her choose. She chose gymnastics, and so far that has been a BIG hit!!! So we spent a lot of money signing her up for things she didn't like. That part really stunk! I would recommend gymnastics =)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I'm worried about that too because so much of it you need to agree to a long contract and if they change their minds after 3 weeks you're kinda screwed :-O

      I *think* Raya will really like ballet....she loves to dance and twirl ...at the young class she'd be in is mostly play based and not much "technique" yet. ....watch me eat my words later haha

      Delete
  2. Yeah, thinking about all this is crazy! I've been wanting to get Kyla into a gymnastics/tumbling class. I've found a couple close to us that I want to try out. I just haven't since I'm so pregnant and won't really be able to chase her around and help. I do plan to get her involved in one after I have the baby and get into a routine. My mom is done with work at 1:00 every day so I'm hoping I can find a later afternoon class after nap and my mom can watch the baby. But we'll see.

    Kyla REALLY needs some socialization though. Tyler had her at the park the other day and a cute little 22 month old girl was trying to play with her and Kyla just clung onto Tyler's leg.

    Anyway, I don't really have good advice for you, but I think Brielle would love the gymnastics. It's crazy how expensive all this is though!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, Brielle is used to playing with Raya, but not really with any other kids!

      Delete
  3. Today I was just thinning about the same thing - maybe it's the Olympics that got my mind on it. I guess I have thought about it before, but with everything going on, I put it aside.

    Anyway, I was hoping to put R in gymnastics, but she said she wants to do ballet. I think W wants gymnastics. It would be nice to put them both into the same thing so we are only running one place.

    Good luck deciding!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hadn't thought of that, I bet gymnastics classes will get a big boost in enrollment after the olympics and everyone wanting to try it!

      Just from how you describe your girls I am not surprised R wants ballet and W wants gymnastics. Although I agree it's nice to only run one place. When Brielle is old enough to do dance here in our small town I plan to do that so I'm only running one place. Unless she throws a fit I guess ;-)

      Delete
  4. We have looked into gymnastics for Sam! So that gets my vote. As for Raya, when Sam is older i plan to enroll her in a local dance studio. We will see how it goes. Trial and error i see it as. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Is there a gymnastics place close to you guys? The one I'm looking into would be like a 20 minute drive---not horrible, but I wish there was something right here in town instead....I'm lazy ;-)

      Delete
    2. I was looking at twisters in CR, so no its not close. If we enroll her i will just plan my shopping trips around those times. But the prices are reasonable ($32 a month) and not to expensive in my book. I went to them when i was little for gymnastics. But there is a dance studio just about 10-15 min from us.

      Delete
    3. I'll have to check what Twisters has...I was looking at Kids First Gymnastics.

      Delete
    4. I actually just found out tonight that a girl i know just signed her daughter who is a month older than sam up for a timbling class about 10-15 min aways from us. Same place where the dance studio is. Maybe ill check them out. The classes are 30 minutes at twisters. And they offer a schedule on their websit so you can see what days and times the classes are offered! Good luck.

      Delete
  5. I vote for gymnastics for Brielle!!!! She is made for that!!!Although just think how pretty she would look in a little tutu!!! Maybe she needs to do both!!! I know Raya will love dance, but I also think she would do great in soccer, she just loves to kick the ball!!!!
    Love,
    Grama F

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She can do both when Grandma pays haha ;-)

      Yes, I think Raya would like soccer too....i've never looked into what soccer costs or anything around here.

      Delete
    2. We paid $35 for soccer for Cam. Plus socks and shin guards. Christine Strickler put her son Adam in soccer this past spring, ask her on fb how much it was. Adam will be in 4 yr old preschool at the same place as Raya. He was there last yr also.

      Delete
  6. I vote gymnastics for Brielle. That place looks awesome. She reminds me of Savanna in that she has no fear. Savanna's day care has a "riot room" that has tons of foam pads and equipment and a Gymboree instructor comes every Friday with Gymboree equipment. She has been doing that since she was 9 months old and she absolutely LOVES it. I was really surprised that she was able to do anything (because I treat her like a dainty flower and I don't want her to do anything "dangerous") but I'm so glad that they knew better! Brielle is definitely old enough and I'm sure she will have a blast!

    And from what I have read about Raya, ballet is probably a much better option for her. I was just like her when I was little and I HATED the classes my athletic mom put me in. Gymastics, softball, pure torture!! I loved ballet and eventually violin.

    What fun!! But you are right, I think I'm going to have to keep working full time just to pay for this stuff!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, Lee wants Raya to do tball and athletics but we'll see---she doesn't strike me as the type who is going to like hard physical activity haha.

      Good to know that Savanna likes the Gymboree stuff!

      Delete

I love comments--please say "Hi!" :-)