Thursday, August 30, 2012

Going Mental

So, it's no surprise to most  people that being a parent is the hardest job you will ever have. I mean, even people who *aren't* parents can usually recognize and admit that they imagine it would be really hard.

BUT, many times when people think "hard" they are imagining sleepless nights, exploding diapers, tantrums, worrying about their health and well being, finding enough time in the day, etc......

and yes, those things are hard!

....but  there  is also this less talked about component of parenting that I like  to refer to as going mental---i.e. your child is being "good" for all intensive purposes, but is still driving you INSANE! lol. This especially becomes a problem when they can talk :-P

For example, tonight after picking the girls up from my parent's house we had an approx. 10 minute drive home. Our relatively short drive felt like a good 15 hours, because instead of listening peacefully to Carrie Underwood sing on the radio I listened to this:

Raya: Mommy, look at me!
Me: I'm driving.
Raya: I'm a cow! Look at me, I can say "moooooooooooooooooooooooo"
Me: Cool.
Raya: I'm a really LOUD cow.....watch this.....moooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo
Brielle: Mooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo
Both girls: hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha....moooooooooooooooooooooo
Raya: Mommy, it's getting dark. Where's the sun. Where's the light? Tonight I want my Dora nightlight
Brielle: Dora!
Raya: Mommy, Brielle said Dora!
Brielle: Dora! Dora!
Raya: hahahahahahahahahahahaha
Raya: Where's my pillow?
Me: It's in the back of the van....I'll get it when we get home.
Raya: Whhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy? I want my pillow!
Me: Raya, I'm driving.
Raya: Next time give me my pillow in my carseat.
Me: We'll see.
Raya:  No, No, No (diva hand wave) ....Mommy, I need my pillow.
Me: Raya, we're almost home and---
Raya: BUMPY ROAD! Wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!
Brielle: Bump! Bump! Bump!
Raya: Why are we going this way?
Me: The other road is closed.
Raya: Mommy, why are the roads closed?
Me: They are fixing them.
Raya: No, no, no (Saying things in 3's is her new thing lol) .....no, no, no, I think THREE roads are closed.
Me: sure, whatever.
Raya: Mommy?
Me: What?
Raya: Mommy, watch this!

......at this point my head is about to explode haha. Seriously, kids are (mentally) exhausting lol

Add to that the fact that moms never get a sick day, and I'm sick today.....and this Mama is counting down the remaining minutes left on Barney so that I can put these munchkins to bed!

Raya: Mommy????????    ..............

5 comments:

  1. Haha we have car rides like this too!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is totally true! Emma talks constantly in the car and sometimes I find myself agreeing with her and then realizing I have no idea what she has just said. Gotta love kids, and well mommys too =)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hahahaha! Oh, I can't wait for Kyla to talk!

    ReplyDelete
  4. So been there - haha! I feel for ya! ;) Hope you are feeling better soon.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Exactly. I hear ya.

    ReplyDelete

I love comments--please say "Hi!" :-)