Friday, December 14, 2012

20 Thought-provoking questions

I'm going  to be MIA this weekend so I thought I'd leave you all with a fun little post -- 20 thought provoking questions that  I gathered from the internet :-) Feel free to answer  these on your own blog too, or just answer your favorite(s) in the comments section of this post--I'd love to hear some other people's thoughts on these!

(My answers are below the list)
*********************************************************************************
1) If someone could tell you the exact day and time that you are going to die, would you want them to tell you?
2) Do you believe in the death penalty?
3) Is it crazier to choose to be poor or to spend 40 years of your life hating 40 hours a week?
4) How would you respond if you child "came out" to you?
5) How old would you be if you didn’t know how old you are?
6) What’s something you know you do differently than most people?
7) Would you rather lose all of your old memories, or never be able to make new ones?
8) If you just won a million dollars, would you quit your job?
9) Do you think  people should  be able  to choose the gender or their unborn children?
10) If your spouse cheated on you, would you divorce him/her?
11) What's a parenting "no no" that you will admit to doing regularly?
12) If you had to murder an innocent person in order to save 100 others, would you do it?
13) If your teenager wanted you to take them to get birth control, what would you do?
14) Have you ever broken the law?
15) If you were forced to eliminate every physical possession from your life with the exception of what could fit into a single backpack, what would you put in it?
16) Would you rather your child be less attractive and extremely intelligent or extremely attractive and less intelligent?
17) What has been the most terrifying moment of your life thus far?
18) If you could go back in time and tell a younger version of yourself one thing, what would you tell?
19) What’s the best part of growing older?
20) What job would you never do no matter how much it paid?


1) If someone could tell you the exact day and time that you are going to die, would you want them to tell you?  No, no, no! No matter how old  I'm going to be I am positive I would think I was either way too young, or way too old! haha. Don't need to worry about dying young and missing out, or dying old and paying for a nursing home haha. I'd rather not know!

2) Do you believe in the death penalty?  My short answer is yes, but I really think whether or not someone gets the death penalty should be left to the victims' families. Because honestly, if someone had hurt/killed someone in my family I would *not* want the death penalty---I'd rather see them suffer in jail for all eternity. I  think that death is too easy a way out for those people. But if someone else's family would have more closure with the death penalty than I think they should have that decision. I do worry about false convictions and innocent people getting the death penalty, but fankly think it's just as bad if not worse for an innocent person to be locked up for life, so I'm not sure that abolishing the death penalty would address that whole issue. And from a religious standpoint I obviously have no opinion one way or the other since  I'm not religious. Once again why I think it should be left up to families though--so they can pick whichever fits their belief system!

3) Is it crazier to choose to be poor or to spend 40 years of your life hating 40 hours a week?  I thought this was an interesting question for a stay-at-home mom haha. Really though I don't think  that anyone should choose to not work and be "poor" just because they would hate their job. At some point we all have to suck it up and take care of ourselves. But if you don't truly mean poor as in living off the state, etc. then I think that yes, many people get sucked into working a job they don't like just to make more money....and in the end we never know how long we're even going to be here so I don't think anyone should live "hating life" ....there's got to be a happy medium!

4) How would you respond if you child "came out" to you? I definitely think I'm pretty liberal and open minded. And once again, since  I'm not religious I don't  have any religious belief system telling me that being gay/bisexual/etc. is sinful. So overall my world would not end if one of my children came out to me. That said, just knowing  how *other people* view gay people I would be upset thinking about how my child was going to have a harder life than if they were in a mainstream relationship. (And please excuse my ignorance in politically correct terms here lol :-)

5) How old would you be if you didn’t know how old you are? haha....seriously, I think I'm forever stuck in the mindset that I'm college age! I mean, obviously I'm not attending classes or anything, but when I meet people I often find myself talking to people in their their early-mid 20s and feeling like we are the same people...and then if I meet someone in their early 30s I think "I wonder how much older they are then me?!" ...because obviously they are really old ;-)  I'm not sure my brain will ever catch on to the fact that I am indeed 30 lol.

6) What’s something you know you do differently than most people? Hmm...well there are a lot of things I'm sure---I"m pretty quirky haha. But I know I probably eat differently than most people. I think I'm the most boring eater on the face of the planet. I eat a bowl of cereal each morning, for lunch I often skip lunch and just eat a peice of string cheese or something, or else I eat a frozen lean cusine type item...and the for dinner  I hate cooking so much that I'm really happy to eat cereal again lol. But for the  sake of everyone else in my family I do usually cook something "real"....but I do know that compared to most people I lack the desire for food variety LOL.

7) Would you rather lose all of your old memories, or never be able to make new ones? Wow, that's a tough one! I think I'd rather lose all my old ones though, because at the point of making a decision like that I would know that I had those old memories, so even though I'd soon "lose" them all I  think that would be an easier sacrifice for me to make in the moment than consciously deciding to never make any new ones. I'd hate to miss out on all the memories I plan to make with my girls in the coming years!

8) If you just won a million dollars, would you quit your job? Since my "job" right now is being a mom then obviously no. But if you're asking whether I'd still work if I was a millionaire than I think my answer would be yes. Just because I would get bored staying home and not working for the rest of my life! However I certainly wouldn't go back to being a school psychologist. I'd pick a "fun" job without worrying at all about wages, benefits, etc. Maybe I'd work in a preschool or for a non profit with troubled youth, etc.

9) Do you think people should be able to choose the gender or their unborn children? I think yes, with some guidelines set up. Perhaps if there was a limit where you could only do it once in your lifetime, and only after having at least two children "naturally".

10) If your spouse cheated on you, would you divorce him/her? I've always joked with  Lee that I'd kick him to the curb so fast his head would spin! lol. But  in all honesty, the whole "for better or worse" thing does not include staying with an unfaithful spouse in my opinion. I know it would be a personal decision for every couple, but for me I know that if my husband ever cheated on me I would never be able to trust him the same way again. And I refuse to live my life worrying whenever he "works late" etc. !! I watch too much Dr. Phil to know that cheaters are usually repeat offenders too --- so for me cheating is definitely a deal breaker.

11) What's a parenting "no no" that you will admit to doing regularly? Bribery. Yeah, yeah,....so maybe they'll  turn into teenagers who demand a new car before cleaning their room haha....but right now if a sucker gets them to be good while grocery shopping, or a lalaloopsy toy gets them to sit nicely in a waiting room than so be it! :-)

12) If you had to murder an innocent person in order to save 100 others, would you do it?  geesh, this is morbid! In general  I would say no way....I couldn't live with that sort of guilt. *But* if my own child(ren) were part of that 100 then I guess my answer might change. It was still be an incredibly difficult decision, but I would never underestimate the "mama bear" mindset and I'd do most anything to protect my own kids.

13) If your teenager wanted you to take them to get birth control, what would you do? In conjunction with a nice long sex talk I'd take them to get birth control! This mama has no desire to star on Teen Mom reality tv lol. I  do not in any way believe that giving kids birth control automatically means you are approving of their behavior. It's just part of being a responsible parent and helping to protect your kids.

14) Have you ever broken the law? Not really, besides the normal speeding occasionally. But I have been an accomplice to stealing a couple times---thanks to Miss Raya haha. Two different times now she has played with something at a store and then put it in our stroller without me knowing....considering the items were under $5 and it would have cost that much to drive back to the store I have just kept them :-o That said, it was completely unintentional on both our parts and now I always watch my stroller closely for little "extras" that might pop in there! haha.

15) If you were forced to eliminate every physical possession from your life with the exception of what could fit into a single backpack, what would you put in it? Assuming I still have food and things  like toilet paper haha...I would probably  say I'd pack my laptop, photos, and cell phone. With a phone and internet I could make out pretty well haha :-)

16) Would you rather your child be less attractive and extremely intelligent or extremely attractive and less intelligent? This was a tough one! I think we are all tempted to say that physical beauty isn't important and our kids should love themselves for who they are on the inside, etc....but  let's be honest....how you look *does* matter!! I really think it's unfair to pretend that it doesn't. You can be a genius and have trouble with self esteem, getting a job, finding a partner, etc. if you are not attractive. But  then again I don't want my kids to be un-intelligent! So my answer would depend on the *degree* of attractiveness vs. intelligence haha. We don't need supermodel looks, but a healthy dose of "pretty" paired with the intelligence  to remove your hand from a hot stove would be beneficial ;-)

17) What has been the most terrifying moment of your life thus far? Definitely when Raya was 11 months old and had her febrile seizure! In retrospect it was really no big deal (now that I know they are pretty common and no long term effects, etc.) ....but as a first time mom with a baby who was having one I seriously thought she was dying---Lee and I freaked out! No more of that please :-P

18) If you could go back in time and tell a younger version of yourself one thing, what would you tell? How un-immportant all that middle school/high school drama is! Seriously, whos dating who, who's "popular" and  who isn't, even grades (as long as you are still doing decently well) really doesn't matter! When I look now at where I ended up it had little to nothing to do with any of that drama. Of course at the time it was the be all and end all.

19) What’s the best part of growing older? I think just being secure with who you are. Related to question #18...as adults I think we all just  gain the confidence to live our lives without worrying as much about what everyone else thinks. And at the same time trying to live alongside others without worrying about what they are doing. I  think adults  still struggle with this from time to time, but overall we are able to live more peacefully, despite all our differences, compared to children/teens who are still learning to be secure with who they are and not worry about everyone else. I truly hate drama and try to distance myself from it...although I still struggle at times it's way easier now as I grow older compared to when I was younger!

20) What job would you never do no matter how much it paid? Well jokingly  I'd say be a dishwasher haha...ya'll know how much I hate doing dishes! But honestly, if it paid enough I *would* do it. What I wouldn't do is any job where my life was put in danger. I have a lot of respect for people on the front lines of the military for example, but I just couldn't do that no matter how much it paid. I've not nearly brave enough and I also couldn't fathom being away from my family.


**************Hope you all have a great weekend, see you Monday! We have a fun-filled weekend with friends planned, so I'll be sure to report back :-) *******************************

1 comment:

  1. These were fun to read! Some of these questions were intense! Man, I don't know how I would answer some. I loved reading your responses.

    Have a fun weekend with your friends; can't wait to hear all about it.

    ReplyDelete

I love comments--please say "Hi!" :-)