Monday, December 17, 2012

A Christmas Tag-- Tag, you're it!

One of the newer blogs I've been reading is Macke Monologues ... you should check  it out if you like cute little boys with an appreciation for sock monkeys :-)   But anyways, I was tagged over there recently to participate in a Christmas tag, so here are my responses--- and my own tagged blogs (tag, you're it!)

1.) What makes Christmas such a special holiday for you and your family?

Well for me it's just  a really "fun" time of year! What's not to love about Christmas lights, Santa, holiday treats, family parties, presents, Christmas carols, etc.?! I also have lots of great memories of Christmas from my own childhood and like to make the same memories for my own children. They are only little once so I just love the "magic" of the season as seen through their eyes.

2. Were you told the truth about Santa Clause by your parents, or did you find out another way? Do you plan on telling your kids about Santa (if you have them or plan to have them)?

My brother and I were playing a hide and seek game when John somehow found our baby teeth in my mom's bedroom. We asked about it and the truth about the Tooth Fairy, Santa, Easter Bunny, etc. all just kind of came at once. I do remember that we weren't upset--instead we went around saying things like "so YOU bought me this, and not Santa?! Thanks!"  haha...we were just so shocked that our parents had bought us all that stuff lol.

I often hear nowadays about people who don't want to "lie" to their kids about Santa and speculation that it will cause long lasting resentment and trust issues of some kind (insert my dramatic eye roll here lol) and I  just don't  believe it. We do Santa at our house and I plan to do it for as long as possible---because Christmas never holds quite the same magic once you stop believing and I want my kids to believe for as long as possible! But when the time comes and they are asking questions I will tell them---and I'll just explain that it's something parents do to create fun memories for their kids---and it's done with love and they will have fun doing it with their own kids some day. I know my girls will understand :-)

3.) Real tree or fake tree?

Until Raya was born it was a fake tree. Now we do real  trees and I love it! We always get the same type of tree and it  really doesn't create a mess at all like  some people complain about. I just feel the real deal is more festive and the tree hunting pictures make for good blog posts ;-)

4. Do you open presents on Christmas morning, Christmas Eve, or both?

Santa comes during the night and we wake up and open presents on Christmas morning. Growing up all of our presents were always from Santa--I don't think my parents ever claimed that any were from them that I remember. So Christmas morning was just all about Santa presents.

Now that my brother and I are grown we typically do presents at my parents' house on Christmas Eve day...but this year we are doing the 23rd instead. Then we'll  do Santa for our girls Christmas morning. I've decided that Santa at our house does not wrap any presents, so the girls will get up and immediately start playing with the unwrapped Santa gifts---and then after breakfast and such they will open a few wrapped presents from us.

5. What is your favorite Christmas movie to watch, and favorite Christmas song to sing or listen to?

I love the classics---A Christmas Story and Christmas Vacation ! I am also a big fan of the newer Elf. For songs I like Silent Night, Little Drummer Boy, The First Noel, etc. Basically I like a lot of slow, religious Christmas songs....which is probably ironic since I'm no longer practicing a religion---but I think those songs are just so closely tied to the Christmas season for me that it's not very festive without them!

Raya's really into Christmas songs this year  too---her favorites are Rudolph, Frosty the Snowman, Jingle Bells, and All I Want for Christmas Is My Two Front Teeth :-)

And now for the 5 bloggers I'm tagging---I hope you'll answer these questions on your own blogs too! :-)

Mrs. Mommy
Sweet N Sassy Girls
School in our Slippers
Life With Our Little Ones
The Sirois Family


***And to read about  our Christmas traditions and fun from last year, here are my posts from Christmas Eve and Christmas Day :-)  Christmas Eve    Christmas Day

4 comments:

  1. Yay! Thanks for participating!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This was fun!! I did mine so you'll have to go and read about it =)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm on it! ... tomorrow. :) Thanks for including me! Fun!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Agh! Just seeing this! Have no fear... I will answer and post soon! :)

    ReplyDelete

I love comments--please say "Hi!" :-)