Friday, April 19, 2013

Is this normal?

Ok, so how long  does it take a normal  person to get out the door with young children in the morning?

The reason I ask is because today was the last Friday that Raya had her little class at the Children's Museum. We have to be out the door by 8am. Next year she will be in preschool 5 days a week and we'll have to be out the door daily *before* 8am. And god help me, when I go back to work the following year I'll probably have to be out the door by 7am!

So please share.. any tips and tricks for making the mornings  less chaotic? The girls and I woke up at 6:30am ---giving us a full 1.5 hours to get out the door. I really don't  want to get up sooner---seems crazy that I can't figure out a way to do this in that amount of time :-P

Here is how  our morning went:
6:30-wake up
6:30-7am-- make breakfast, girls eat, I made sack lunches (I didn't have time to eat myself).
7-7:30-- got girls dressed, did hair, brushed teeth, gathered up all the  junk they thought they needed to take along
7:30-8am-- I took a shower, got dressed/hair and makeup, got all my "junk" together for the day

(And there were about  5 potty breaks  for Brielle thrown in there, and well as an argument over  her  insisting that she  wear her Dora pjs to the  museum. And of course a couple footwear changes by both  girls because  no matter  what I choose they want something else!)

We made it out the door on time but I didn't have time to eat and when I left the kitchen was still a mess from breakfast and I didn't have time to make beds or anything like that. Do you just not do that stuff in the  morning? Does everyone else in the world get up earlier and allow more time?

I know I could probably make sack lunches the night before, but  I'm super picky and 90% of the stuff  I think it soggy or gross if I make it up ahead of time haha. I did have everything set out and somewhat organized the night before.

It'd be much easier if nothing ever started before 10am...if I have until 10am to get out the door  I'm golden! ;-)

And just because I feel bad not posting a picture  two days in a row, here is a photo from Easter that my cousin took. Brielle and Daddy hunting eggs at our family party. (They just dumped a pile of eggs outside for the babies  LOL. )

9 comments:

  1. In our house, any major "mama getting ready" is done the night before or while S is still asleep. Do you have to wake the girls up at 6:30? If so, I'd do your shower/make up first and let them sleep.

    Typically, I shower the night before, crawl out of bed as late as possible (6:40ish), S is up by 6:45-7, she eats while I make her lunch, get her dressed and ready, and then Daddy takes her to school at about 7:05-7:15. I have no idea how I do it all that fast; probably because she is still half asleep and too tired to argue. Also, there are bribes like vitamins that she loves if she sits down to eat, or 5 minutes of TV while I get her dressed/brush her hair.

    Any more getting ready I have to do (straighten hair, get dressed, make up) is done after they leave, I'm out the door at 7:30-7:40.

    It's a whirlwind, and I wish I had more time with her in the morning, but I refuse to wake a sleeping toddler.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, also, I don't eat until I get to work. Now that I'm super pregnant, I sometimes eat a cup of dry cereal while I'm getting myself ready. Or I'll say "screw it", sit down and eat with her, and just be late to work!

      Delete
    2. Unfortunately no, the girls are up on their own---to be honest I'm lucky if they make it to 6:30. It's been about 1 year since I woke up before them! lol

      I wish I could take my shower the night before---I can't. My hair is a hot mess. If I shower the night before I still have to completely rewash and style my hair the next morning anyways :-(

      I should probably come up with some breakfast ideas I can eat on the go. My favorite breakfast is cereal with milk though haha. I may have to suck it up with a granola bar or something :-)

      Thanks for the ideas!

      Delete
  2. I can't offer much here. However, maybe part of the girls' bedtime routine is picking out and packing up the items they think they will need for the following day. That way that part is taken care of already??
    I'm sure I'll be posting something similar to this in the not to distant future.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I should have them do more of that. Although Brielle especially is so fickle that I can't get her to stick with a decision from one night to the next morning lol. Raya however should be able to do that!

      Delete
  3. I guess I can only speak from experience at our house, but YES, this is normal, haha! I *hate* Tuesdays and Thursdays because those are the two days W has preschool and I struggle with this same thing.

    Now, a lot of what I was thinking of suggesting, you commented on, but I will still share what I do here that I have found to help.

    The night before the girls have their closed all laid out and ready to go. We leave W's school bag packed and in the closet, so I grab that down the night before and set it at the top of the stairs. If it is something that can be put together ahead of time, I get her snack ready to go, throw that in her bag and then actually take her bag out and leave it in the van for the night.

    On days when we were going to have to be gone for lunch too, I found it helped to pack what I could the night before.

    This next part may sound obsessive, but I couldn't handle the fact that we could never get out the door easily, so I tried everything I could. I planned out what the girls would have for breakfast the next morning and then I set the table with their plates, cups, napkins, etc... I even put their gummy vitamins out with that stuff.

    I can say I don't think it would make a difference if you got up any earlier, honestly. I have been sleeping in lately, but on my normal schedule, I get up at 4:30am and I still couldn't have us ready before making some changes.

    As far as beds go, I usually leave the house a disaster on those mornings. I hate that, but as soon as we get home I then have the girls make their beds and get their jobs done while I straighten up the kitchen.

    I think that's it... now that I have written you a book! :) The biggest thing for me was getting as much as I could prepared the night before.

    Keep us posted if you figure this out! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I actually like the idea of setting the table for breakfast the next day. They pretty much always eat the exact same thing daily so that would be pretty easy to have everything ready.

      Delete
  4. I really really dislike mornings. LOL We get up about 6:30. Emma has to be at school at 7:50. I give her a bath or shower the night before, so we don't have to deal with that in the mornings. She eats breakfast about 6:45 ish, and Emma lounges for a bit and watches cartoons. Lunches are different every week here. She usually eats school lunch, but I just got her this lunch container from Pottery barn that has different sections in it and it fits right in her lunchbox. So she has been liking to bring cold lunch. I put everything in that box the night before like carrot sticks, grapes, strawberries anything like that in it and then in the morning I make up a quick sandwich for her. I'm sure it's a little easier only having to deal with one kid in the morning (however that will be changing, haha) But i'm certain that when the school year starts for Raya, you will get into a grove that works just perfect for you guys =)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yes it is normal! I have a 7 year old and 5 yr old twins. We are NEVER on time! I think sometimes my MIL gets mad about that LOL. The twins start morning kindergarten next year and I am nervous! I signed them up for storytime at 9am this year. Getting 3 kids ready every Thurs and out the door by 830 is a pain! I am hoping that it gives me practice for next year! Here are some tips that I have learned... we pick out clothes the night before. Backpacks shoes etc are all set to go for the morning. I set the table for breakfast before I go to bed. I make pancakes 2x a week and stik them in the freezer so all I have to do is mirowave them for a fast breakfast. Also I make lunch for my oldest the night before. I make everything except the sandwich. I don't like it to get soggy. I hope that helps. I know how hard it is to get everyone going in the morning. Good luck! :) PS your header pics are adorable! Kit

    ReplyDelete

I love comments--please say "Hi!" :-)