Thursday, April 4, 2013

Let's talk shoes!

So with  spring here and summer quickly  approaching I knew I needed to figure out the girls' shoe situation. Now in the past I've done minimal shoes for the girls, even for a "normal" person's standards. Maybe 3 pairs total...mainly because my girls' feet have always been  super annoying to fit. They  have "tall" feet and many shoes don't even go on their feet.

However  this year things have changed---suddenly their feet are fitting into shoes...even sandals! Yay :-) We still can't  do any sort of flop flop or sandal where something goes between their toes, but  we're getting better.

My philosophy  on shoes is to go as cheap. as. possible. My girls tend to trash shoes. They don't really have any resale value when we are done and I am not a "shoe person" who appreciates name brand shoes. So this year our stash has been Payless and Target. Payless is amazing for kid's shoes. They hold up great and are cheap! I'd much rather get multiple cheap pairs of shoes to match many outfits, as opposed to one or two expensive pairs. Maybe if I had a boy I'd just do one nice pair...

So here's  what  I have right now...tags and receipts still on because I  might change my mind.

These are from Target. If I was only  buying one pair of shoes I would  pick these. I love a great basic white  sandal for summer---not the hard plasticy "church" white sandal, but a soft leather/faux leather. These have padded straps for comfort. Great shoe! And the colorful dots in the center of the flowers mean they will match basically  everything.
These I'm debating if we "need"...the white ones would probably be fine, but we have quite a bit  of gray/yellow combo in oru wardrobe and these silver ones would be cute. Plus they are maybe a little dressier---but still the soft/padded style and really comfy. Only $9 from payless! One of their everyday deals this spring.
These are  also $9 shoes  from Payless. They didn't have either style in both sizes I needed, so I got the girls different ones. Kinda works because Brielle is younger and has more pastel and blue in her wardrobe  than Raya does.
Raya picked these are Target---LOVE. They didn't have  Brielle's size though! If by chance I stumble across a size 6 at another  Target I might get them.

And lastly, these beauties...


Here  is what I posted on Facebook  yesterday about the above  shoes:

"Oops, my genius plan has backfired! Brielle is OBSESSED with Dora and many times has tried to get my to buy Dora shoes at various stores (looking cute and hugging the box, etc. lol). However I knew if I bought some she'd only ever wear those, and frankly I despise the typical tennis shoe with a giant cartoon face on them! So I was thrilled at Target today to discover adorable shoes were Dora was *inside* the shoe haha...Brielle got her Dora shoes and I never have to see Dora's face b/c her foot's covering it. Fast forward though and now for the last hour we've taken off our shoes approx. every 2 seconds to admire Dora's face haha."

I paid $5 extra for the Dora picture  lol...at least I have a very happy girl now! ;-)
So each  girl has *4* pairs of shoes for summer. I really don't t hink  that's too bad, especially since they were all pretty cheap. Then the  pink  shoes they wore for  Easter (up in my blog header)---those  are our "spring shoes" and then once summer hits and we can  wear sandals I will  make those  pink  shoes our "play shoes" for playing outside.

I think the only shoes  we actually still *need* are water shoes for the pool.

So anyways, what  do *you* guys do for shoes? How many pairs do you aim for and do you think I'm missing anything? I know we don't really  have any tennis shoes, but in the summer we don't wear socks, so tennis shoes are pretty much out. My girls can play on the playground in sandals just fine and they don't do any real sports right now where tennis shoes are a must. We do have some tennis shoes packed away in bigger sizes for Raya when she starts doing gym at school, etc.

Happy Thursday everyone! We'll end with a couple quick pics of my cuties today...
They are playing outside at Grandma's today  because it's supposed to get near  60 degrees...so  it's a play clothes day. I find Brielle's shoe choice ironic considering I  just  did a post on spring/summer shoes LOL

These are leftover winter shoes  that will  also be "play" now

And a random pic from yesterday----Raya found a misc. picture  laying around the house  and insisted on posing with it hahaha

17 comments:

  1. cute sandals. I got the girls a really cute pair of black sandals from Target the other day. And for Kaylee's birthday I found a pair of white ones at WalMart. We do cheaper shoes to cause they thrash them or outgrow them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My girls don't have much black in their wardrobe for some reason, so I didn't pay much attention to the black sandals when I was at Target. I really wished we had black shoes this winter though---we never did!

      Delete
  2. Love the shoes!! I am a shoe nut, but Savanna is a HARD play kid. I used to put her in the cutesie shoes, and she kept falling and getting hurt at school. Her teachers basically told me to send her in tennis shoes every day. Nuts. So, I do buy her some cute sandals and things for weekends, but most of her outfits are ruined by ugly tennis shoes and socks. :(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. haha...darn teachers ruining her stylish look! ;-)

      Delete
  3. We don't even do shoes at this point. HA! Marcus just takes them off. Hey, if the kid wants to go barefoot and save me some dough, find by me.
    When he gets a little older the shoe situation will certainly change. I have a feeling we will have several trashed shoes. More likely than not, Target and Payless will be our staple "shoe stores."

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My girls never went through that stage---they've always been huge shoe fans for some reason lol

      Delete
  4. loving the sandals!! your girls are precious

    new follower
    joanna-dan.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by---I'll check out your blog!

      Delete
  5. looking gorgeous and I love your shoe selections!!! I already have several summer shoes for my big girl and it's hard to stop. I too am of the 'cheap shoe' philosophy, but keep finding that the cheapies rub her feet and leave blisters, boo, so I'm going for the pricier, better made shoes and buying way LESS of them... Whatever works, right?!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, we've had some cheapies that seem pretty uncomfortable. I'm a little worried about the colorful Payless ones, but we'll see. The padded strap ones are always a favorite for my girls---they never rub!

      Delete
  6. love all the shoes!!! Really love Rayas with the flowers, must find a pair for Brielle!!!
    Love,
    Grama F

    ReplyDelete
  7. Kyla has her pink Nike's that I got with some Kohl's cash. She's wearing them now, but they're size 7 so they're a tad big so they should be good all summer. My mom got her a pair of white Carter's sandals that aren't that nasty plastic, but seem like they will be pretty comfy. She also has a dressier navy blue pair that I got from Gymboree to go with a bunch of the Nautical line stuff I got her. And she has a cheap pair of Old Navy flip flops with the back on them and I have no clue if she'll wear them with the thing in between the toe. We'll see I guess!

    Oh yeah, I ordered a few things from Old Navy (Kase needed bigger jeans) so I got her a pair of the mary jane croc like things. So she is probably set, but I'm loving those pastel sandals from Payless so we might needs those ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I almost bought those Old Navy crocs! I wasn't sure if they'd work as a pool shoe---they are super cute

      Delete
  8. Emma has way more shoes than I can even begin to count! LOL My mother is really weird when it comes to shoes. I always buy cheap. Target mostly. However, whenever my mother comes to visit, she always ends up at a shoe store buying Emma shoes like Keens, Nikes, Crocs, Pumas, Merrills. But as I've told her, if she wants to buy them, than have at it. I'm not spending that kind of money. haha But the good thing is, Emma is really gentle on shoes. So all her shoes that she outgrows goes to my cousins little girl. =) I LOVE the shoes that you said Raya picked out at Target....they are super cute! I'll have to see if they have a size 11 or 12 for Emma at our Target =)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, Raya is horribly hard on the toes of her shoes. Sandals fair a little better since they have open toes, but closed toe shoes take a beating haha.

      My Target had size 11! They had like every size *except* the 6 Brielle needed lol.

      Delete
  9. Cute shoes! I buy most of our summer sandals at TJ Maxx now. They are adorable and SO cheap!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh, and each girl usually has about 8 pairs per season. I only buy 1 pair of tennis shoes for each,and only in the Fall/Winter. My son only has 3 or 4 pairs of shoes per season. It's not as much fun buying for him!

    ReplyDelete

I love comments--please say "Hi!" :-)