Saturday, April 13, 2013

Potty Training---we took the plunge!

Well  you guys, I finally did  it.  I  started potty training Brielle today!

I've been trying to find my motivation for awhile now. I kept thinking I'd just wait until summer (that sounded  like a good time ;-) but then recently I started thinking about how this summer our schedule will be so crazy---lots of road trips, we'll want to be at the pool, etc. and all that would not be good to do while in the early stages of potty training. So then  I decided I really needed  to try now--and my goal is to have her reliable by summer time, so that we don't deal with lots of regression during all  of our vacations and such when our  schedule is messed up and we are away from home a lot.

Let it be said, I HATE potty training. Ugh.

So anyways, last night we had a little  pre-party for the  potty haha. We gathered all of her new underwear (am I weird in that I  don't want to pass down underwear from Raya to Brielle? Something about "used" underwear grosses me out. I wouldn't want to wear Lee's underwear, so I can't bring myself to put Raya's on Brielle lol)....so after  we gathered  all  our new underwear Brielle  posed with it :-P



A Dora panty hat!
So then this morning we started the actual  potty training.  I've said before  on the blog that  I can't  do the bare butt  method people often talk  about. Pee on my carpet? No thank you, I don't care how fast they train that way :-P So  we do underwear.

Well for about the first two hours I  was filling her full of fluids but she never  peed! The girl has quite the bladder. But then she had a couple accidents, which was good because I wanted her to feel that it was  gross, and therefore motivate her to pee in the potty.

Overall the day was a success in my book, for her first try. She had about a 50% success rate (some times she would tell us she had to go, but  she  couldn't really go...and some times she would tell us she had to go right *after* she went in her pants)...but there  were also times she told us she had to go and then actually went! So I was proud of her.

She did  start to act annoyed with us by late  afternoon---she started telling  us "no" when we wanted her  to try going potty. I think she was just tired of us interrupting her play all day!! But then I put a pull-up on her to go to Dairy Queen for supper and she lasted the entire trip dry and then peed in the potty when we got home, so that was exciting.

I had  told myself  that if today was horrible  I'd just call it quits and wait until next month...but today was good enough that we're going to keep going. Fingers crossed!

And somebody  thinks she's pretty hot stuff in her big girl underwear ;-)


13 comments:

  1. Good luck. Keira still has no interest at all, it's frusterating.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, Harper isn't into it either so far. Brielle seems into it, but she has her moments of being stubborn...overall she seems ready though so hopefully!

      Delete
  2. Just the thought of potty training frightens me. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ugh. Potty training. Thank goodness I only had to do it two times. I'm with you. Not a fan. At all!

    And socks & underwear are two things I do not pass down from Kennedy to Ashby. Especially underwear. Gross. Good call mama! :)

    And great job, Brielle, on your first day potty training!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Emma refuses to sit on the potty at home. She will at school.
    Do you typically do the panties at home and then pull up if you go out early on? That seems like a good idea because you don't have to worry the entire time!

    Yay for Brielle! Wish me luck as I face this task soon!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I do pull ups when we leave the house. I treat them like panties and make a big deal about how we have to keep them dry...but until Raya was reliable and could keep her pullup dry in public for an hour or two at least then I kept her in them. Because I can't handle finding a bathroom every 15 minutes in public and worrying about them peeing their pants :-P

      We also do pull ups at nighttime until they wake up dry for a solid week.

      Delete
  5. Haha, I love that last pose! You guys had a pretty successful day; great job, Brielle! And I am with ya on the passing down of underwear - there is just something ugh about it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. All the reasons you gave about wanting to train her now, make me think waiting until AFTER summer sounds good, haha. I've been trying to get Kyla to go on the potty this weekend, but not forcing anything. I just don't think she's ready yet. I'm going to wait a month, but I'm not sure if summer sounds like a fun time to do it.

    Can't wait to hear how Brielle does today!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I agree that the more I thought about it it's sort of now or never lol...if Kyla isn't ready yet I'd totally wait until after summer I think!!

      Delete
  7. Such a big girl, she looks sooooooo cute in her big girl panties!!!!!!!!!!
    Love,
    Grama F

    ReplyDelete
  8. Could she be any cuter in her panty hat? Where did you get those underpants? I need them! Adorable.

    ReplyDelete
  9. She's adorable!! Cute undies :) How old is Brielle??

    My youngest is starting to use the potty, but I'm not pushing it - he's 21 months. We do the bare butt method - I don't mind pee on the floor too much ;)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I am the same way about undies. no idea what it is. actually I do. I don't want to share my panties so I wouldn't expect him to either. glad someone else threw that out there lol. Yay for potty training!!

    ReplyDelete

I love comments--please say "Hi!" :-)