Ok, so yesterday I mentioned that I had completed Raya's closet switchover for the season, and last night I did Brielle's (because our internet was down AGAIN! don't even get me started---it's back for now). I also said I would be embarassed to show the amount of "stuff" in their closets lol....but have decided that I don't have anything else to blog about today and some of my readers might be interested in my tips and tricks for organizing so I'll share :-)
Now that it's May, and the weather forecast is looking warmer and warmer, it's definitely time to get those closets all ready for the next season. When organizing a child's closet there are some unique things to keep in mind, compared to adult closets:
1) First, they are constantly growing, so you will always be dealing with clothes that fit, clothes that are too small, and clothes that are too big.
2) If you have two like-gendered children then you are also likely dealing with storing outgrown clothes for the next child, and pulling out hand-me-downs for the younger child.
I've found that when planning out my closet organization I have to brainstorm all the "categories" I have for that child. This includes things like tshirts, tank tops, dresses, onesies, leggings, jeans, shorts, warm weather pjs, cold weather pjs, etc. etc. And then make sure you have a designated area in the closet for each catergory.
Personally I prefer *not* to use stand alone dressers in my girls' rooms. I don't like taking up play space with a dresser and I like to have everything contained in their closets. Eventually I plan to get floor to ceiling closet built ins, but for now I make used of a variety of shelves, drawers, etc.
So without further ado, here is Miss Raya's closet:
Notice that when hanging things in her closet I make sure to group like things together. That way if I decide she's wearing a dress that day I know where all her dresses are hanging. If I want a tank top I look in that section. I've found this helps prevent a particular item from becoming hidden in a mass of mixed up clothes, only to uncover it when it's been outgrown. When you're dealing with a lot of clothes you have to have some organization to make s ure they all get worn! :-)
We've got hair clippies all over--in Brielle's room too. But it's nice to have some within easy reach of the closet when planning outfits.
Also notice my "too small" pile up top. As Raya outgrows things I put them in that pile. When the pile is "full" then I move it downstairs to a rubbermaid container in our storage room and label it with the approx. size. Then when Brielle gets into that size I can pull it back out again!
Then notice the "too big" drawer. This is important if you, like me, buy ahead for the next season or two when clothes are on clearance. Then as Raya grows I can go "shopping" in my too big drawer. (I also have some too big stuff hanging up too--shown in the next picture)
So the "too big" dresses and other hanging stuff are shoved to the far corner, out of my way. This is also where I put items from this past winter, if I think they may still fit her in the fall. Items from this past winter that I'm pretty certain will be too small come next year are packed away in storage.
Then shoved in the opposite far corner is some "current cold weather" clothing....which I keep out for days when the weather is particularly cold. This is important if you live somewhere like Iowa, when May and even June, etc. can be a little indecisive and we go back and forth between tank top days and sweatshirt days :-)
The tall clear plastic drawers at the bottom are what I use instead of a dresser...for sock and undies and misc. legwarmers etc. Up top I store shoes, which I suggest keeping the boxes for. They stack easily that way and then when they are outgrown I can put them in storage and easily pull them out when Brielle needs that size.
And now onto Brielle's closet:
Her's is very similiar...a "too small" container is hidden in the far left corner, and when it's full it moves downstairs for possible baby #3. She doesn't have quite as many "too big" things in her closet, because the hand-me-downs from Raya that are too big just stay in storage until I need them. But sometimes if Raya outgrows something that I think Brielle might be able to wear in the next 3 months or so I just move it directly into Brielle's closet. Things like a dress that maybe Raya wore as a top when it was too small, and now Brielle might be able to wear as a dress again in the near future. Then I don't risk it being forgotten in storage if Brielle might grow into it soon.
So I hope that maybe you found that helpful!
...and perhaps the most important piece of closet organization is making sure your children know that only mommy picks out the clothes until you are 18 years old....because otherwise what's the fun in having a closet full of clothes if you don't get to be the stylist to your fashionista?! ;-)
Kyla's closet looks pretty similar. I too keep a stack of "too small" and when the stack gets too large, I take them down to the storage containers downstairs. I like the idea of keeping the shoe boxes. I don't do that yet, but I'm going to start, even if it's just for easier storage when they're too small. I have one of those shoe rack things that hang from the closet rod to keep them organized. I have a dresser in her closet right now (just a 3 drawer small one). Tyler and I were going to buy another one for the baby, but I think I'm going to move Kyla's into his closet and do like you do with plastic bins for Kyla. I like that much better! Thanks for sharing your tips :)
ReplyDeleteNo problem!
DeleteI do like the plastic bins...they are easier to arrange inside a closet because you can configure each drawer set you buy, rather than trying to move around a big dresser :-)
Awesome tips! I do dressers for both of my girls, but you are right, it takes up room. With the new baby, we have decided not to do a dresser, mainly because of space until our house sells and we buy our new one. I decided we would just buy a closet organizer instead. I think that will work great.
ReplyDeleteI also have never thought to keep the shoe boxes. You should see the tote I have full of shoes where you have to find the other pair!
Glad you're back! And I love that you labeled the "random crap" in the closets! :)
ReplyDeleteWhat can I say except OMG look at all that clothes!!!!!!
ReplyDeleteLove,
Grama F