Linking up again with Kelly, Lindsay, and Megan for
Trendy Tot Tuesday :-)
Today let's talk headbands. Seriously, my girls (especially Raya) are obsessed with hair accessories, especially headbands! So the other day I made them a headband holder on the spur of the moment and I thought I'd share a little tutorial.
Let me start by saying this was a spur of the moment, 15 minute project with materials I had on hand! I would add some things to "pretty" it up if I was actually preparing ahead of time :-P I originally thought about just buying something similiar on Etsy, but then I got looking and found that most people were selling holders that only had room for a few headbands....and my girls have so many I needed to be able to supersize it! So I came up with this...
 |
| I got tired after a little bit so there are only 15 loops right now....I have space at the bottom to add many more, but for now I just put hair clippies on the bottom part. |
So here's all ya gotta do to make one yourself! Find a piece of ribbon and cut it the length you want your holder. I used a light pink ribbon and it's probably 2.5 feet long or so. Then cut other pieces of ribbon (I used hot pink, light pink, and aqua) to approx. 3 inch pieces. Then take each 3 inch piece, fold it in half, and attach the top part (where the two ends meet) to the full length ribbon (my light pink). This forms a loop to hang the headbands from. (I put my loops close together to fit more on in a small space. You can space them however you want though.)
I used a quick straight stitch on my sewing machine to attach the loops, but you could also use those iron on "no sew" strip adhesives, or glue, or handstich. It doesn't have to be pretty if you space the loops like I did because each loop covers the top of the one below it so your sewing (or whatever) doesn't even show.
 |
| You can see my light pink stitching where I attached the loops |
I then attached a big button to the bottom of mine as a little weight to keep it hanging straight. But it's not really necessary by the time you hang all the stuff on it.
Up top I just used hot pink ribbon to tie a bow and hang it from a nail in the girls' bedroom----if I had planned ahead though I would have gotten one of those cheap wooden plaques you can buy at any craft store---paint it and put a monogram or name on it etc. and use that to hang the ribbon from. Then the top is a little more decorative :-)
And there is my finished 15 minute project! I might add a decorative wooden plaque to the top later but it does the job for now :-) And eventually I'll get rid of the clippies hanging on the bottom and finish adding the rest of the headband loops.....because as you can see the headbands are plentiful! lol. The good thing is that you can actually hang multiple headbands through one loop, depending on how wide they are.
Raya LOVES picking out her own headbands now that she can see them all clearly. I'm sure we'll be adding many more in the coming months!
And since Trendy Tot Tuesday isn't complete without a fashion show, here are just a few of the headbands the girls have worn in the past:
 |
| Gymboree headband |
 |
| handmade from local boutique |
 |
| Floral headband from The Children's Place |
 |
| White bow headband from Children's Place |
 |
| The Children's Place headband |
 |
| Local boutique headband |
 |
| Red polkadots from Claires |
 |
| Of course this one from yesterday's post---also The Children's Place |
....looks like I have a thing for The Children's Place headbands! haha. They are always a great price though and they have super cute ones. Check them out---if your kid won't leave them on at least pick up a couple for photoshoots---they make a great "prop"! :-)
I really need to buy some headbands for Autumn! She is an all bow girl!
ReplyDeleteThat's such a cute idea! We have a gazillion flower clips and elastic headbands, but my 6 year old is starting to wear regular headbands more often. I may have to try that!
ReplyDeleteYou are way too talented! haha =) Love the headband holder!
ReplyDeleteThis is awesome! And you just "whipped" it up... just like that! I want your talent! :)
ReplyDelete