Let's talk about siblings today, shall we? You see, like many people I think I've always been a little facinated by only child families. Whether by chance or choice I often wonder "are they totally depressed by the fact that their only will never have a sibling?"
....because you see, the sibling relationship is often thought of in term of those cheesy pinterest quotes you always see floating around....ya know, like "sisters by chance, best friends by choice".....or "being a brother is even better than being a superhero".
....and photos of siblings in a big embrace, giggling and laughing....or walking hand in hand into the sunset.
And only child families won't have that! Seriously, how depressing right?
BUT there is a sibling myth and I'm here to reveal it for you all. And those only child families have something on the rest of us crazies that they keep in their back pocket like a secret weapon. That secret weapon is the lack of C.
Confused yet? Well let me explain :-)
When people announce they are expecting their second child there are always the "how wonderful!" 's that follow. But there are also all the well meaning parents of 2+ who chime in "hold on for a wild ride" and "going from 1 to 2 is sooo much harder than having your first!" ....and people who share their horror stories about how them and their sibling(s) can't stand eachother, etc.
And the unsuspecting mom pregnant with #2 starts to think "well, I survived baby A, so how hard can A x 2 really be?" ...but having a second child is not A x 2....because kid B will be totally different than kid A, so really only about 20 % of what you learned the first time around even applies haha.
So then you're thinking "well I survived A so I can survive A + B! ---obviously the work with 2 is more than 1, but I can handle double the work I think."
But no. This is where I want to explain that as I sit over here with adorable kid A and adorable kid B the equation really is A + B = C ...C, the sibling relationship. A + B is NOT double the work. It multiplies like rabbits and C is approx. one million % more work than little old A. And C is the sibling relationship that is 50% walking hand in hand into the sunset, and 50% animal planet where two starving alligators are fighting over a peice of raw meat they found in the swamp :-P
The lack of C is where the only child familes have it made. It's their secret weapon!
And as I sit here today listening to my children scream bloody murder over who touched who's rock (A stinking ROCK!), or who's turn it is to climb on the pool table (which neither should even be doing in the first place!) I think to myself that 1) those only children will do just fine in life I think without a sibling----they'll have all that raw meat to themselves ;-) and 2) I'm pretty glad that I decided to forgo the A + B + C = f'ing D equation LOL...because I"m pretty sure that D would have sent me to the nut house!
BUT (and there is a big but here)
my girls do have their fair share of walking into the sunset holding hands, and for that I am very thankful for my little baby B! :-)
Am I preaching to the choir? lol

I love this post! It made me literally laugh out loud at work. I was an only child till I was eleven. It's different for sure. I was jealous of families where the kids all played together, but on the other hand I was spoiled and everything was always my way ;) I did finally get a sister though and she is my best friend now :)
ReplyDeleteI obviously want more children, I don't want Hudson to be an only child. It is sooooooo annoying when I tell people I want more kids and they reply with how much they hate their siblings or their kids fight...blah blah blah. I know it won't be all rainbows, but I can want more then one kid. We will survive! By the way....I think I am up for the challenge of C but D scares the crap out of me :)
Love the post!! I am an only child and I was super happy about that :-) Emma is an only child....and its probably going to stay that way. :-)
ReplyDelete