So Raya has swimming lessons this week--every day for 30 minutes--her first "lessons" ever! We leave in awhile so I'm sure I'll post tomorrow about how she does :-)
But now I'm left with trying to think of something to post...and since lately I've posted a lot of pictures I thought t oday I'd bore you all in a different w ay---with my thoughts on potty training haha.
First off, every kid is different (blah blah blah ;-) and some people potty trained their 12 month old in an hour and some people have 5 year olds in pull ups (thinking extremes here!). But in general I think the first societal push for potty training is usually around 18 months old. And with Brielle being 18 months I'm seeing the potty training debate, tips and tricks, success and horror stories, pop up everywhere on the blogs and message boards I read.
So without further ado, here is why Brielle has never sat on a potty and will not do so for quite some time yet! :-)
With Raya I jumped on the bandwagon early. I bought her a potty chair at like 9 months old, she peed in it every night before her bath, I was excited and thought I had a potty training genius, etc. etc. I tried to officially potty train at 18 months and again at age 2 with no real success. However I have realized that people often define "success" differently, so let me explain.
Each time I tried to potty train Raya she would go when I took her for the most part. She was never scared of the potty and would always pee (we had more trouble with poop haha). However in my mind a child is potty trained when the following things are met:
1) They can tell you when they need to go *without* reminders and/or scheduled potty breaks. If I need to constantly remind or have a stinkin' excel spreadsheet of sheduled potty breaks in the day then I feel like I"m training myself, not the kid. Raya did great when I took her regularly, but if I got busy with my day and forgot, then we'd have some accidents. This was frustrating!
2) They can pull down their pants, get on the potty, and go independantly! If I have to take them to the potty, pull down their pants, put them on the potty, and wait while they go, then am I really gaining anything? I mean, certainly I'm not going to force a willing child to use a diaper if t hey are ready...and I know some 18 month olds *are* ready....but many times I think parents jump on the potty training bandwagon simply to avoid diapers. And let me tell you, I think diapers are easier in many ways! I can change a diaper in 20 seconds flat. Time me as I try to help a toddler on the potty, wait, wipe, and then start the god forsaken hand washing (which is always a wet and messy ordeal!)....and suddenly my potty trained kid takes 50 thousand times longer than a quick diaper change.
***I do still help wipe though, even now that Raya is potty trained....which I think is expected for hygeine purposes....but just throwing out there that you will not avoid wiping poop, even after potty training :-P
3) They can "hold it" in public for extended periods of time. (I'm sorry, but I'm not keeping a potty in my trunk, I'm not carrying a potty seat in my purse, and I'm not stopping at every store so that my 18 month old can pee on a 15 minute timeline! haha. When they can hold it 2 hours, then we're talking.)
So when I look at *my* definition of being potty trained I can tell you that Brielle is not even close on any of the above. Maybe it's partially because she's my last baby, but she's still a baby! I can't even imagine her short little arms pulling down her own pants to go potty haha. I plan to reevaluate when she's 2, but I"m predicting that we'll potty train around 2.5 years like we eventually did with Raya.
And let me just say, when Raya was 2.5 years she was 100% ready! She potty trained in less than a day...it was soooo easy! (Need I remind you all about when I attempted training her at age 2 and I caught a turd in my bare hands?!) So yeah, when I sat back and waited for her to be r eady then potty training was the absolute easiest thing ever.
....and maybe I"m in the minority, but Lee and I bicker all the time about who has to answer the call of Raya's "I'm dooooooooooooone! Come wiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiipe me!" ....which always seems to come during dinner, when I'm in the shower, in the middle of cooking dinner, etc.....many times we've said "man, diapers were so easy!" haha.
We're going to wait to potty train keira until around 2 or maybe later. She'll be 20 months on the 29th and I don't think she's ready either. I can say kaylee is fully potty trained. She goes potty and wipes herself, it's awesome. I figured when she turned 3 she was big enough to wipe herself. So I taught her how to wipe and she does it all by herself, except when she poops I still help with that
ReplyDeleteYeah, I should specify that I do let Raya wipe pee....just not poop ;-)
Delete...and that said, I feel like that child poop about 20 times a day haha!
DeleteI totally agree that you're going to have the best luck with the child is ready, whenever that is. And she is on her own schedule, so there's no need to rush =) Gracie is very interested in the potty because she sees her cousins being potty trained, but I am nowhere near ready trying to start full time training because there is no way she can hold it and she can't pull down her pants {I don't think}
ReplyDeleteyeah, Raya was definitely more *interested* in the potty at this age compared to Brielle. Brielle is so much smaller than Raya was at this age that I think I just have a hard time even picturing her trying to get her pants off or something. ....and yet she can climb my kitchen table no problem hehe
DeleteOh my gosh, I should not even comment on potty training posts anymore....I think my 3 year old ruined me for life *eye twitch*. She started showing signs and wanting to train at 18 months, so I thought YAYAY! Nope. She would do great for about 3 days, then get "bored" with it or something, and despite my best efforts to keep the momentum going would cry and beg for a diaper...or just use the house and carseat as a toilet.
ReplyDeleteIt's the first time in 4 kids that I've been brought to tears from potty training! And now she just turned 3, and we are still struggling along.
Oh, P.S. You would think that if I just said, "ok then, you can just stay in diapers until I'm SURE you are ready", that it would solve the problem, right? But then she would do the crying and begging for panties instead of a diaper.
Oh man, I feel my own blog post coming on here! LOL
LOL...well I found potty training aggravating enough as it was, so I can totally imagine how annoying *that* would be!!! I feel for you---good luck!
DeleteYou crack me up with your visuals! I love it! I was one of the ones where my girls wanted and were ready to train early, and I even carried a potty seat in my purse because their little butts would fall in when they had to go in public! :) We'll see what happens with this one - like you, I am not worried. They all learn eventually!
ReplyDeleteha! Well I never had to worry about Raya's butt falling in---that girl's got junk in the trunk! ;-)
Delete